How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10264
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I recently bought a flat that has no consumer unit or meter

Customer Question

I recently bought a flat that has no consumer unit or meter that Ihave access although it says in the lease that I should have access to these facilities. It is going to cost a minimum of £6000 to get electricity to my flat. The existing consumer unit is in the other side of the building, which had been divided up into two buildings with a numberof flats in each. Who should be responsible as currently I am told it is a fire hazard and my surveyor did not point this out when we bought it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition, the flat has a door that goes to a very small space where the drainage sewage systems come down. When i bought the flat the door was sealed with paint from the outside. It is the only access to the area other than a window from a neighbouring ground floor flat. This leaseholder wishes me to block it up again as he feels it is an infringement on his privacy. Although he had an issue with his central and asked if his gas fitters could come through my flat. I was of course willing as I assumed when I bought the flat that it would be my responsibility to provide access to this area. We also cleaned the drains. Am I in my rights to insist that if he needs this to be sealed again that he provided 24/7 access should there be any leaks. In addition I will need to access my door to paint it. I, do believe this to be a ridiculous situation so would be grateful on your thoughts on this.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
When the seller was selling the property, your solicitor would have asked him for a copy of the Sellers Property Information Form with all the various answers completed.Here is the form. file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/TA6%20specimen%20FINAL.pdfgo to section 13 and you will see that as a specific question about the location of the meter and the provider’s name. Ask your solicitor to let you see a copy of this to see what has been completed.If the seller has not been accurate or truthful with the reply on the form, you have a claim against the seller for putting the job right. If the seller has been accurate and truthful and the solicitor failed to notice it, or, the solicitor did not ask for it, you have a claim against the solicitor. The seller should have provided you with a copy of this document in any event. If not, ask for it now.You may have a claim against the surveyor if you had a full structural survey. You will not have a claim against the surveyor if you merely had a valuation for mortgage purposes. A valuation for mortgage purposes costs a few hundred pounds and a full structural survey would cost probably getting on for £1000 or more.If you can explain the situation with the sealed door a little more I can deal with that for you also because I can’t quite understand the layout and what the issue is for the landlord whereby he wants it sealed.Can I clarify anything for you?Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process.Best wishes.FES