How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like to apply pending suit to court

This answer was rated:

Hi, I would like to apply for Maintenance pending suit to court prior to my FDA which is in less than two weeks away. I cannot afford a solicitor because I am a university student and and a single mum. My ex spouse earns a lot, hence he could afford it. How can I write a witness statement and what else do I need to do in order to send my application through? Thanks, Nargilya
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstDo you mean you wish the applictaion to be heard at the FDA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare. That's right
Have the Forms E been exchanged?
How much have the improvements that you have paid for increased the value of the property?
How much have the improvements that you have paid for increased the value of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Me and my ex exchanged our Form E's as well as the second part (questionnaires). Now, we are just waiting for our first hearing which is on 25 April. I was advised to apply for Maintenance Pending suit due to my income. My ex's income is significantly more. I just do not know how to start my witness statement and the rest.
Are you aware that the site charges extra for a phone call
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you confirm how much I am getting charged for this conversation please?
At the moment you are being charged whatever you originally offered.If you wish to have a phone call the site will charge more
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you help me with my original question please? I don't think I need a phone call
That is fine (and that is also why I asked)Most of the informtaion is already in the Form E so you simply need to do a short statement highlighting your financial difficulties.Do you need a guide for the format - and just how much does he earn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please. The guide would be great. My ex's earning are approximately £38K per annum. He is self-employed. I live off student finance, credit cards and benefits.
What capital does he have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has a mortgage he rents out, two cars, inheritance from his father (which is under trust) and he is a beneficiary. He live is one of the property's he is a beneficiary of. Net worth of that house is £500.000
Where are you living?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in a rented accommodation with my 4-year-old son which is mostly paid by the housing benefit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's his son also
Why could you not live in the property he rents out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because, there is no way he would allow me to. He does not want to give me or his son anything apart from the CSA money of £347.00 per months. Hence I am taking him to court
Would it be suitable for your (ignore his wishes - the court will!)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thing is, when I left Chris just over two year ago I had to wait for two year separation before applying for divorce. I wanted everything to be amicable and did not want to claim anything from him. My initial proposal was only £40K to pay off my student finance and other depts. He truly believes that I do not deserve anything. I did not know the law until I applied to court for financial order. Now, I want him to give me a place to live a car that is on my name and a periodical payment for our son. So, going back to your question, this would be one of my proposals.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It worth about £125,000, but he only paid off about 40,000
Ok - so in fact it would be a reasonable settlement!Has he solicitor made any offers at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is rather stingy person. He does not have a solicitor and doing all the paperwork for himself. He does not have any offer for me
He is going to hate the result.Is his Form E accurate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a lot of information missing in his FormE. I referred to them in my questionnaire.
is there enough for the Spouse maintenance to be dealt with
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he does have enough
Sorry - I meant has he already given the court enough information so that it is self evident that he can afford spouse maintenance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He hasn't given all of the information. However, from what he has given I gather he has overall £5000 per month
RightSo all you need to do is give notice that you wish to apply for this at the first hearing (use a Form A again) and put together a Statement which concentrates on your income needs (and his ability to pay)This website you some very useful templates.You will need to send this in advance to your ex so that he is aware of the applictaion - and should do it this week!I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. Very helpful indeed. I'm sure I'll contact you again in near future.Nargilya
You are most welcome - good luck