How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I had to close my building business after two large projects

This answer was rated:

I had to close my building business after two large projects with signed contracts and depisits fell through after Chridtmas. I am being harassed by a creditor. He claims I owe him £10k in unfinished building works and he owes me £3.4k from another project. I have offered to pay him £6k in monthly installments of £1k. He repeatedly threatened to post online complaints in local website to humiliate me publicly and to orchestrate a group harrassment. He has already posted unpleasant details on Facebook. I have done 6 projects with this man and he has now joined forces with the client who owes him and me money after he was proposing to persue them. Is there anything I can do about this? I am now going to have to go bankrupt due to my loss of business.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Was the building business a limited company? Was the money owed by the business or you personally. I would write back to this individual and say:(i) You deny you owe him the full amount claim;(ii) Say you have a counter claim for your own money;(iii) Say you have made an offer to repay him what you believe is an equitable sum;(iv) Say pursuing the way he is wholly unacceptable and a criminal offence under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 - to harass someone for a debt;(v) Say if he will not discuss this rationally you reserve the right to report him to the police and/or commence a court action to recover any loss you suffer defending yourself against him.I would note if the business was a limited company and the limited company was invoiced by him, you have no personally liability for the debt and could just ignore it potentially.I look forward to hearing from you.Kind regardsAJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a sole trader so the money is owed to me personally. I am very concerned about the harrassment on social media. Is there anything I can do to stop it.