How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can I get housing benefit if I rent a room in a house?

Customer Question

Can I get housing benefit if I rent a room in a house? Can somebody receive it who arrived to the UK 6 months ago?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is their immigration status?Sorry for the delay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are from the EU starting running self employed business.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Where in the EU?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you are a Hungarian national exercising treaty rights then you have the same access to benefits as a UK national. In principle you would have a claim as long as you otherwise meet the criteria. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jo,
thank you for the answer. Actually the question is if housing benefit can be claimed for room rent or only if I rent a house and any of the bills contains my name. I think it is more bureaucratic question than a legal one. Thanks if you can help with this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, in fact, if you are under 35 and have no children then you can only claim housing benefit for a room or a bedsit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I am 40 this year. Is it ok claim for a room at this age?