How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have Leland ii trees at the bottom of my garden(inherited when we moved here

Customer Question

Dear Sir
I have Leland ii trees at the bottom of my garden(inherited when we moved here 4 years ago) of which I had 30ft removed around 18 months ago due to regular complaints from a neighbour. The other neighbour whose garden runs along the bottom of mine took it upon herself to have them cut again having tree surgeon climbing from my premises.I did not complain although I understand I could. Now I have a threatening letter asking me to cut them again and or remove them as they say they cut out the sun light.The line of trees is north to south, her garden is on our south, the sun's movement from east to west therefore doesn't cast any shadow,their own bungalow does.
The letter is quite extensive with threats of court claims and involvement with the council. I will send a copy if you think necessary. I have however already an arrangement with my gardener as soon as weather permits to trim them for my own benefit unbeknown to this neighbour. Also they are complaining about the silv
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, i am a solicitor worth 20 yeasrs expereience. I will try to answer this for youLeylandii can be dealt with under the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. If your neighbour complains to the local authority and the conditions set out below are met then the local authority may carry out enforcement action. However, as long as the roots or over hanging branches are not causing damage there is no action that the neighbour can take himself. In order to be covered by the Act the following definition must be met. A high hedge is a continuous barrier to light or access that rises to more than two metres above the ground and comprises a line of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs. A complaint about a high hedge on neighbouring land must be made to the local authority (usually the district council) by the owner of a domestic property who can show "that his reasonable enjoyment of that property is being adversely affected by the height of a high hedge situated on land owned or occupied by another person".The local authority may issue a notice to require the high hedge to be reduced to a suitable height, but they cannot order the removal of a hedge. Hope this helps. I am not sure what else it is they are conplaining about, can you please clarify and if you need more answers pleas ask.