How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A Council have forcefully chained, padlocked and screwed shut

This answer was rated:

a Council have forcefully chained, padlocked and screwed shut my families Beach Hut (had an agreement over Fifty yrs) they have continued to withdraw Monthly Rent for Hut Site for at least a year preventing Access to Hut ... I'm badly disabled and have not had chance to paint Hut front for past 18 months, council property along same area are in similar condition or worse ! I believe the new printed Agreement they have now produced which I refuse to sign, as our Family have Paid without fault for this length of time with No Previous Lease, giving them lots of rights not raised before to control our term of Stay, they also will not permit a Sturdy Replacement Hut as before in favour of forcing people to accept a flimsy Shed-like Hut which the ones already delivered are showing signs of Deterioration, I just wish to continue as before, Does the Period of Time already under the Old Agreement give Me any choice or can they force me from our the Publics Beach Facilities ... Your Valued Help is very much required
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if it is legal for the Council to withdraw a years Rental knowing they have prevented me gaining access to my Beach Hut for this Period of time ? or is it a type of Fraud or similar Offence ? I have a Meeting with them early Tomorrow AM ... Do I have a case against them after After Fifty years of unbroken payment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies, my telephone number is ***** 914014
If you want to chat by phone that is an additional service, or we can keep it online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your offer but I can-not keep paying additional amounts to try and get to what I consider an attempt to defraud me by the Council ... again many thanks
On what basis have they boarded it up? I do not quote understand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can only guess because I will not sign their new biased Licence which gives them more power to make decisions that would effect our future .... I repeat , Can the Council who've Chained and Padlocked our Beach-Hut Preventing the use of and Still take rent site monies for facilities not available
But in short you have a lease for 50 years? Its not up for renewal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, I can only assume they wish to secure all ground sites so in future they will want to extend their own style of units and remove private owners, the lease signed in 1966 was not for any period of specified limit and yearly cost was £18 as against todays rental of nearly £1000 for less facilities
They can't do this! You need to write and ask them to remove it or say you will go to Court.If they refuse then you can seek a Court order to get them to remove the locks etc and reinstate it back to the condition it was beforehand.You would need to complete forms N1: N16a: Court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to grant an in injunction. If the Court does and they ignore it technically they are in contempt of Court.You may also wish to complain to the Chief Officer of the Council who can investigate it then the Local Government Ombudsman who offer a free, independent service at: I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your information which I will bear in mind when at the meeting and apologise for keeping you late, if I intend to take this further I will contact you again, again many Thanks and Kind Regards
Good luck. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance. Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you