How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My house was illegally entered by a utilities Company. The

Customer Question

My house was illegally entered by a utilities Company. The Company obtained a warrant to enter one of their customers' house, but entered my house incorrectly. They have admitted this in writing. They disturbed furniture in my house and left leaving the house totally unsecured (side gate broken in two, lock damaged on outer front door and inner front door left open (as were all doors)). They have caused an immense amount of stress to my wife and I and we want compensating for the physical and psychological damage and harm they have caused. They have offered the arbitrary sum of �500 for all damage caused. This is not good enough. What would you suggest is the best way to pursue this? Small claims court, ombudsman or something else?
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry if I am missing the point but what loss have you suffered? What was actually broken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Side gate broken in two. Needed replacing.
Locks on outer front door had to be replaced as they no longer functioned as they did prior to the 'break in'
Inner front door required lock replacing.
Emergency locksmith called to secure house.
Psychological distress caused by having my house broken into. I'm not even a customer of the company who obtained the warrant. They got the wrong house and broke into mine!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK. What was the cost of putting that right? Please forget about psychological distress. It is not claimable.