How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I currently rent an apartment in salford i am on a 12 month

This answer was rated:

I currently rent an apartment in salford i am on a 12 month contract and want to break the lease after 6 months.
I rented the apartment with what was sold as a fully integrate kitchen with appliances but the cooker has never worked as well as the dishwasher and the apartment extractor fan, the agency keeps making excuses why they have not been replaced do i have any redress
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What does the agreement say about termination or a break clause please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The contract does state there will be a cost my question is more regarding the fact they will not be able to find tenants with no cooking facilities
Sorry I dont quite understand what it says about a break clause or ending the contract early?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If i pay the 780 pounds , i am still liable for the rent and council tax etc until a new tenant is found, my concern is they will not be able to find a tenant with the current lack of amenaties, the agency has told me the appliances are being replaced but so far it has taken 5 months , what if i pay the £780.00 then have to pay the rent for 6 months due to lack of tenant, i am at my wits end as i have to break the cintract due to a family illness
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry i am not being very clear the fee is to break the contract which i thought would mean i am no longer liable for the rent
Sadly yes, you are liable for Council tax. What you should do is leave and then if they try to claim anything off you sue the Landlord for breach of contract.The Landlord has failed to fix things, how can you be expected to live there with broken items? Its not fair and it is NOT what you are paying for.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Happy to help. Alex