How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

The landlord who owns the house next door to my house.

This answer was rated:

hi. The landlord who owns the house next door to my house. is refusing to replace the fence panels as they are falling down. I have checked with the land registry and it states that fence is his responsibility. what can we do.
1. The best option in the circumstances is to replace the fence panels yourself and then send him the bill for the works done. If the landlord next door fails to pay, then you can sue him in court for any monies owing. aware that this is the best option because the law will not give you a mandatory order compelling the landlord next door to carry out works to the fence, even though that is what the covenant makes clear should happen. So you must have the works done yourself and then get the money off the landlord next door.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will not receive payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have his address to issue a summons in the small claims court.
3. You can run a search in an online programme which searches for people in the UK. This will get you a person's address. It costs less than £5 and you will have the address instantly, as you already know one property which this person owns. This is not an insurmountable difficulty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. 9 years ago we, in error, thought that this was a party fence. It was in a dangerous state so we replaced everything ourselves, whilst I was pregnant. We asked for half of the money back from the landlord, via the then tenants, but to no avail. Can we claim this back after such a lone time, if we have to go to court for replacing the fence now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His name is ***** ***** common - there are far to many in our area to find him
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.To be clear, he owns the property?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he does and he rents it out. There have been many tenants since we purchased the property in 2003. He is obviously listed on the HM Land Registry as the owner, that where I obtained his name, but there are so many with that name in the area I would not be able to find out which was him to issue a summons.
You need to apply to seek a Court order as my colleague has advised for the costs. You can do this online at: can use the address on the Land Registry.Once you have Judgment then you can seek an order that the Judgment debt be secured against the property.That makes the debt secure which means its like a mortgage.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI. That's interesting. On the money that we paid out 9 years ago, can we add that to the summons now, or is there a statutory limitation on that.
If its 9 years ago then you are out of time (6 years) unless its as a deed in which case the Limit is 12 years. Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean unless its a ded
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry deed
If its a contract etc then its 6 years. If its a deed (like a mortgage written as a deed) then its 12 years.Does that clarify?Alex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you