How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sister and I are selling my fathers house under his

This answer was rated:

Hello, my sister and I are selling my fathers house under his instruction. We have joint LPA in property and finance affairs- this was his decision. He wants us to split the proceeds of the sale, however, our conveyancer is saying that we need a joint bank account to do this. Is this correct? If not why is the conveyancer telling us this?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstIs there any reason why the money cannot be paid into your father's bank account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In answer to your question, no. However, my father has expressed that we have the money from the sale as he is not in a great mental capacity, hence the LPA that he wanted us to do. He has washed his hands of any help within financial matters and has not taken any part whatsoever within the property sale and the finding of a new ward- assisted flat for himself.
The Conveyancer is being understandably careful.You are selling as Attorneys and not as joint owners and on that basis the money does not belong to you and cannot simply be divided between you.If you wish to receive the monies on behalf of your father then it shoudl be into an account in joint names which preserves your roles as Attorneys only acting in the best interests of your fatherPlease ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, that now makes sense!
So, if we leave the proceeds in my father's bank account can he transfer the amounts out?
If my sister and I open a joint account, firstly would we need the LPA certificate to do so and how would we access the funds afterwards?
If your father wishes to give you the money as gifts then it is better that he does this from his account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So he can transfer the money from his account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it is not a 'gift' from him and it goes into a joint account is it liable for taxation?
I am not certain what you meanIf he gives you this money then it is a gift.If you are meant to use the money for his benefit then it can remain in his account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your help and advice.
You are most welcome