How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10247
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Walking along High Street Burton-on-Trent, 10.10.2015 I tripped

Customer Question

Walking along High Street Burton-on-Trent, 10.10.2015 I tripped and fell and broke my hip femur bone, admitted to hospital via ambulance. I was wearing flat shoes, do not drink so I was not drunk, just walking along when I assume the tip of my shoe hit a slight raised area of the pavement, stumbling forward, and wham, I fell, it was a real shock! I am a pensioner aged 73 so no loss of income, I was reasonably fit, healthy, active and mobile.
Now loss of confidence, sometimes very scared walking in certain areas, in-case I trip over again, I have only just started to drive a little. I do not have any pain but frequent discomfort.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like an answer to my question please, is there nothing I can do about my injurty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems money for nothing at this moment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to refund my money if you can not send me no reply
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
I will try to assist you with this. This is my area of law. The issue of trips on the highway has been to court on many occasions. Unless whatever you tripped on was at least 25 mm deep or high, (the diameter of a 2p coin) and that you have evidence of that then any claim would fail. You would need photographs or witness evidence of the size of what you tripped on.In addition, the highway authority can very often rely on what is known as a Section 58 defence which is a defence under that section of the Highways Act if they can prove from their logs that they inspected the pavement a reasonable period of time ago. Many of these inspections are done by simply driving down the road and I am of the opinion that they could not possibly find any defects doing that. Nonetheless, the courts will very often allow that defence.For that reason, you would be very lucky to get a solicitor who will take on a tripping claim on the public pavement nowadays even if you actually have some evidence.Can I clarify anything for you?