How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49779
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I order online watch and after 3 days the watch has

This answer was rated:

I order online watch and after 3 days the watch has stopped working I contact seller and send watch back asking for brand new replacement -today have received brand new more expensive model watch same brand to first one-can I must return this watch to seller or can keep it?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have they realised they sent you the wrong one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not I checked myself and call to the company -sales person start be agressive because watch is 3 time more expensive that one to I order
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like he panic and try force me to return watch ASAP -all paper work is addressed to my name and invoice have order number refer to watch I buy the cheaper one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Legally this is not an item which you should keep because it was not what you ordered and it is clear that the replacement was sent in error. So if the retailer wanted to they could take the matter further to try and recover the watch or to get compensation for it. There is however no guarantee that they will go that far – they may become aggressive and threaten you with court action hoping that you will return it, but they cannot force you to do so. Therefore, you may wish t wait and see how far they are willing to take this – unless they actually make a court claim and win, they cannot force you to return it or pay them back. So you could leave it until they make a court claim and then offer to return it (although you may be liable for the claim fees which may be a couple of hundred or so). At the same time they may never actually make the claim and you could then keep it, even if legally you should not have been able to. But the correct thing would be to return it. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will return the watch on Monday by courier secure service thank you for help
You are welcome, all the best