How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I cannot find a copy of my decree absolute my decree nice was

Customer Question

i cannot find a copy of my decree absolute my decree nice was granted on the 9th june 1999 i have this copy.
i have read my documentation and recall that i was advised to delay the absolute due to my ex husband not being willing to finalise the financial situation as i had 2 children under the age of 16. we finally settled in september 2001 outside of the usual 12 month period. I honestly cannot remember if my solicitors
requested my decree absolute on my behalf .As it was so long ago. i am planning to remarry now in september of this year hence the ex husband has not remarried and we are fairly amicable but realise the potential implications . how do i find out if it was made final /absolute and if not how do i get this done or get a copy if it was?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. As you have the Decree Nisi you will have the details of the court and case number ***** you should write to the court to request a copy of the Decree Absolute, together with a cheque for £10 for the service. If there is no Decree Absolute they will respond informing you so and you will then be able to apply for it. However, if the financial settlement was not approved by the Court you should not remarry until it is approved and finalised.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.