How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We have unregistered land behind our property which a farmer

This answer was rated:

We have unregistered land behind our property which a farmer occasionally takes hay from and says he is the tenant. He is not forthcoming in providing us with the details of the owner. How do I go about finding out if he has a legal tenancy, and who the owner is? Thank you, Hilary.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.I am afraid to say that if the property is unregistered, there will be no public record available to see who either owns the land or if any Tenancy has been granted.The Deeds to the property will be in the possession of the owner (or the Bank if there is a Mortgage over it) and neither the Land Registry or any other public body will hold copies of the Deeds.Therefore, I'm afraid there will be no way of you finding out who the owner is and if there is a Tenancy over it, unless you can locate the owner directly and he is prepared to divulge the information to you.I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that Al. I am less worried about finding out the details of the Tenancy, but contacting the owner as we are keen to buy a small part adjoining our property. I wonder if you can suggest what sort of person to employ to do the research to try and find details of ownership?
Hi,Word of mouth has to be the first option. Then speak to the Council to see if they have any records.If all else fails, you would need to consider using a tracing agent, such as- I hope this assists. Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this. I shall try all of the above!