How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

There,Help Please. I have suffered from physical

Customer Question

Hi there,
Help Please.
I have suffered from physical and emotional domestic violence for the last 18 months plus from my ex partner. However, most of the extreme domestic physical violence has occured here in Malawi where I am carrying out voluntary work although there have been many episodes in the UK.
Controlling and psychological behaviour due to jealousy resulting in the below. I know the law changed in Dec 2015 for coercive and controlling behaviour – He is also highly religious and truly believes he is thee chosen one……
I have endured
2 incidents of fractured ribs
Been locked in rooms and been prevented from escaping when he is drunk
Multiple overall bruises all over my body, bitten face, smacking, kicking, punching
Apple mac and phones smashed and ruined
Clothes ripped off and torn
Black mail and threats to ruin my life and my families if I left him
Emotional fear and distress
Panic attacks
Most importantly, I have lost my son due to him witnessing physical violence who now lives with my Mother.
There have been a number of witnesses to theses events –but I am not sure whether they would be prepared to testify – so can an individual be forced to testify here or in UK.
He has a police record in the UK and incidents have occurred here -but I was too fearful to press charges.
He now owes me approx £20,000 – the debt has been accrued on my credit cards and was to support him whilst he carries out his work in helping African children in Malawi. He has agreed to pay £11,000 in May and a further £6,000 in August – but this means I have t remain in contact with him and suffer more months of trauma. The £6,000 he has offered to pay me back in August is not guaranteed. Meanwhile I am paying interest on all of my credit cards which I cant not afford.
I have 3 x signed iou’s and his last will and testament the latter of which has been witnessed by 2 mutual contacts. All of these documents were compiled in the UK.
Presently we both are staying in Malawi – I am a visitor here carrying out volunteer work and he professes he is now a Malawian resident.
So the problem is incidents of domestic violence have occurred mainly in Malawi however the iou’s were compiled in UK.
I can not afford to pay a lawyer so I need to find a lawyer who spcialises in no win no fee. But also do lawyers exist who can help me with the domestic violence scenario but can also help me to recover this debt?
Your advice would be SO appreciated! As I am not sure who to turn to.
Finally, he is fairly well known in the press for his dubious work here in Africa whereby the company was sold and debtors were not paid back. So if I contacted them with a story to warn others can I be sued in terms of defamation of character if I am telling the truth?
He also owes money to his mother, and mutual friends so how can I become the first creditor.
I wait in anticipation of your response.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. If you are outside of the UK then you are not within the UK jurisdiction. The UK police cannot act for that reason. More over, I'm afraid you are not describing coercive control. It will be an offence that will rarely be capable of proof anyway. You are just describing a debt. You would have to sue for that in Malawi. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo