How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I agreed a Consent order in 2005 regarding a divorce, whereby

This answer was rated:

I agreed a Consent order in 2005 regarding a divorce, whereby my ex wife (of 26 years) would have 100% of the marital assets, in a full and final divorce, on the basis that I was a high wage earner. Her mother died before the Consent Order and the potential inheritance at the time was not taken in to account. However papers have come to light that show that Probate was applied for and granted, and denied by her and her lawyers at the time, before the signing of the Consent Order. Her inheritance was in excess of �200,000. The recession and subsequent bankruptcy meant I never again fulfilled my professional potential. My question is - can the Consent Order be revisited in the knowledge that information was deliberately withheld at the time of the Divorce?
Hi, thank you for your question. If it can be shown that she had deliberately misled you and the court, and that assets were not disclosed then this could be grounds for you to apply for the court to revisit the making of the consent order. As part of such an application you would need to demonstrate that at that time, if disclosure was made of her inheritance that it would have materially impacted the agreement or court decision. Given the potential complexity of this issue I would highly suggest that you have all the documents you have mentioned proving that there was misrepresentation and employ the services of a family law solicitor who specialises in financial relief matters - you can find them here: If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you