How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My brother has been living in my house (and paying me) and

This answer was rated:

my brother has been living in my house (and paying me) and now i'm selling the house he is angry (as he couldn't afford to buy the house himself) and saying he has 'applied and got squatters rights order' on my house - what can i do to resolve this? We never used a tenancy agreement as didn't think this was necessary.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Just to be clear he rents a room off you?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no he has the whole house since i moved out
Ok. You need to formally write and ask that he leave within 28 days or say you will seek a Court order.If he refuses then you need to apply for possession. You need to do this using form N5: N121: Court will list the matter down for a hearing and decide whether to give possession. The Court will.Then he will have to move out, if he does not then he can be evicted with bailiffs.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** will have a look at the links you shared
Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex