How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49829
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We renovated a business premises chap about 18

Customer Question

We renovated a business premises for a chap about 18 months ago but he has only paid part of our bill. He traded at the premises for just under a year and then relocated in a different name 10 miles down the road. The original invoice was addressed to him at the premises and but he asked us to generate a second with the business name on it. We have just found out this business had been liquidated. He has repeatedly promised via e-mail he will pay the bill on such a date but never happened so enough is enough especially as we have found he owes other people bigger sums of money. Can you please advise if there is anything we can do? The sum owed is 6K. Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Was the work done for his business or for him personally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He contacted us personally but we knew the premises were a business. When we completed the work he told us to 'let him have the invoice'. We didn't even know the business name until he asked us to generate another invoice weeks possibly months after the first.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will reply with my response early afternoon
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. The key here is who do you pursue – him personally or his business. On one had you can argue that he personally asked you to do the work and that you had originally invoiced him, however on the other hand he may have been acting on behalf of the business anyway and that the work was done for the business rather than his personal needs. In the latter example it would be the business you have to pursue and if it is in liquidation then that may prove somewhat difficult. It may be that the company has no money or assets to pay off its debts or that it can only pay off a proportion of them (such as a few pence for each pound of debt). In these circumstances the first thing you should do is consider registering yourself as a creditor of the company to get on the list of creditors who have debts against it. Details on this here: If this route does not get your money back then you may wish to try and sue the person individually by trying to show that the business you did was with him personally rather than with the company. However, it would depend on the court believing that the instructions and work was clearly for him rather than his work, so there will be a risk they do not agree with that. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to take should you decide to pursue him personally, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.