How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50148
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a case which was tried in Saudi Arabia against my employer

This answer was rated:

I have a case which was tried in Saudi Arabia against my employer for discrimination and harassment over a period of 8 years. I was harassed after the case went to court. The judge has stated that my contract was bachelor which is clearly not true. Family status is written in my offer. I worked for the company and prior to changing my religion and marrying a national I had no issues. My wife was treated in a most appalling way and I was marginalized. I was forced to resign under the terms of constructive dismissal when I was forcefully returned to bachelor accommodation and all of my family rights and perks removed, as if a punishment for challenging the company in court. I completed the grievance process throughout which i received two warning letters libelling my wife and her sons. Can I reopen this case in the uk. I believe that the discrimination and all other complaints were completely ignored.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all began in 2007 and ended in december 2014 it was locked in saudi judiciary until 2 weeks ago. Final judgement was no judgement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that there was more than meets the eye. Whatever I had produced in evidence would not have had the slightest impact on the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Incidentally, I produced more than 56 documents of evidence including police report warning the company of their actions to no avail.
Is there any connection to the UK with the employer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is BAE Systems HQ is UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that they are currently subject to a DPA since 2012 by the SFO. That is what is so incredible about their behaviour.
Ok lwt me consider this and I will get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have claimed a confidential agreement with the Saudi Ministry of Interior. I have asked to see this but was denied. What secret agreement can obliterate my employment/contractual rights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which court will assess this case and how do I approach them?
Thanks for your patience. There are two possible options here and one is the criminal route, the other is the employment. You will not be able to go down any criminal route in the UK because this all happened abroad and the Saudi judicial system will have full authority to deal with this and there is nothing the UK courts can do as a result. The employment route is where you would be pursuing the employer for constructive dismissal and/or discrimination. Apart from the difficulties in trying to show that UK courts/tribunals have jurisdiction to hear this claim, you are going to be out of time to make a claim. There are strict time limits for bringing in the claims you wish to – constructive dismissal must be submitted within 3 months of resignation and discrimination must be made within 3 months of the discriminatory act occurring. If this all ended in 2014 then you would be way too late to make the claims now, even if you manage to convince the tribunals that they have jurisdiction to hear a claim. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that be if the final ruling of Saudi court was only finalized less than a month ago. I was previously told that I had to have it tried in Saudi Arabia first.
The time limit does not run from the time the Saudi case ends, it runs from the date the acts happen, such as dismissal or discriminaiton. There is certainly no requirement for the Saudi case to have finished before you had to make a claim here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been to employment court in Saudi Arabia I am suggesting it is a matter of public interest Human rights issues are involved my wife was denied access to her legal wards by a corporation. Surely in the civilised world that cannot be abided by. Secret negotiations with ministries? I heard there is up to 6 years to bring this forward.
Not for this type of claim unfortunately, the limits are as mentioned above - 6 years is for breach of contract claims, this is not such
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a breach of contract Ben. That is what I am saying. They breached my contract in 2014 when they returned me to bachelor status and removed my Family rights which included business class tickets 3-4 bed housing and I was in the court in saudi Arabia when they did this. Actually presenting the case. I want to know which court to present to in the UK. Breach of contract based on discrimination.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And illegally amending the terms of my contract while presenting my grievance to the labour court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is illegal in Saudi Arabia too. Although the court did not take this into account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said nothing was above board. It was very dubious and fishy.
ok I do not see this being a case you can take here but I cannot stop you from doing so, if you wish to present the matter in the UK it would be the County Court, you need to complete and submit form Nq to your local County Court:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am convinced that there is a court that will hear this as a matter of public interest. I have read that in HM crown prosecution website. I can not give all the details in this conversation. However I fail to see how all of that abuse of power can go unhindered.
ok I cannot say if the court WILL or WILL NOT hear this - it is for them to decide but that is where the claims go if you need to pursue it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If so... My faith in humanity is dead. I am the abused wife. I believe that I can raise this case myself "third party privity". I just want to know which court. I will try the court you have suggested. Thanks.
You are welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will give it a go. I must, I am living in exile from my country over a contract of employment. Unfathomable. Regards ***** *****
Best of luck with this!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Win lose or fail. It was a travesty that I can not leave alone even if all I get is the media to recall it. That would be justice enough for me.
Yes for some people naming and shaming the employer is the only thing left but still bring some kind of resolution to their case
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you