How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A car known to have no MOT has been driven to park in our road.

This answer was rated:

A car known to have no MOT has been driven to park in our road. The Police say unless it is SEEN being driven they can do nothing. Is this true ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Alex. The problem is that initially a campervan was parked in our road for some 4-odd weeks. Owner not a resident. Apparently parked whilst owners on holiday we believe. Moved from point A to point B some 50 yards away. Removed for a few days, then returned to a different point. Reported to the Police who were not interested at all. Road is NOT unlit. NO yellow lines. BUT was parked in contravention of Highway Code by being parked facing oncoming traffic. Van then went to be replaced by owner's car which is NOT MOT'd. Police say they cannot act unless one of their officers witness it being driven ! We assume as no MOT=no insurance. Road used as a short cut between 2 busy roads, and twice a day filled with cars collecting children from a Primary School. As residents we are very unhappy with this "alien" vehicle(s) just being left on our doorsteps. It is the lack of "interest" by the Police that is equally galling, let alone the potential "danger". The residents feel "powerless" to get anywhere to resolve this problem.
Ok - the Police can prosecute even if there is a sighting not by the Police. But you should know that no MoT is ONLY a fixed penalty fine, nothing more. You should report this to the Council and Police as it may have been abandoned. Also you could report this to the DVLA as it may not be insured.But sadly you can't make the Police or Council act. If its a public highway and there are no yellow lines, you can't stop someone from parking.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you