How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My ex landlord has posted unpleasant comments about me

This answer was rated:

HI, my ex landlord has posted unpleasant comments about me and my children on a local social media group. I'm a governess at this village school, where now my children go to and I have a successful local business working with families. My reputation could be seriously damaged, if this continues.
The comments have been delated. However, I have people who are happy to write witness stamens.
Do you feel I have a case?
Many thanks,
Hello Dee my mane is Alex and I will help you.Do you have screenshots or anything please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the post has been deleted by the admin before I saw it. However, people are happy to write statements. Would that be enough?
It may be. You would need to show under the Defamation Act 2013 that you have suffered serious harm. Then you would need to issue proceedings in the High Court.These are quite specialist and you would be looking at High Court proceedings around the £15,000 mark to bring a matter to a contested trial. You should also be warned if you were to lose then not only would you be liable for your own legal costs, but also that of the other side.Sadly legal aid is not available for these types of matters.So yes, you can bring a claim, but it is difficult and expensive.You could potentially report it to the Police who could investigate it and see if any offence has been committed.I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer. How would you clarify 'serious harm'?
That is the risk of litigation. You as the Claimant would have to show you have suffered serious hard. You would need to convince a High Court Judge.Can I clarify anything else? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying it.Regards,Dee
No problem Dee. Good luck. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance. Alex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Alex,I will leave a feedback, thanks.I have sent the following to the estate agent who managed the property let:Please find the attached copy of a letter from one of the cleaning ladies who I hired on my last day at the above property.As I have informed you over the phone, the resent social media slander from my former landlord is completely unacceptable.I am a well respected character and a good citizen within the community: a governor at the Great Wilbraham primary school, a successful local business owner, as well as a member of many charitable organisations.The serious allegations made against me by the landlord are false and defamatory, which could damage my personal and professional reputation, effecting not only my business I worked very hard to establish but also my children who have settled well within the local community.These comments were deleted by the editor of the local social networking group, however, I have people (including the editor) who are willing to give verbal and / or written statements.Some of the comments included personal attacks on myself and my family, where the local community felt the need to stand up for me. A very hurtful and disturbing experience. I believe this has happened over the Easter holidays. As some of the people within the local community knew I went away to lay my brother to rest after Easter, they have not disturbed me with this information until today.These comments were made purely in attempt to discredit me (out of revenge) and were not fair comments either.Therefore, considering all above, I would like to make further complaint against Mr J Tank for this unacceptable behaviour.Without any further delays, I await the refund of the deposit in full .They answer was that they are not going to get involved in this.Should they be getting involved? Do I have any other option?Kind Regards,Dee