How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son entered an agreement to rent a property from CRM Empiric

This answer was rated:

My son entered an agreement to rent a property from CRM Empiric (student accom) last September.
Since that time a number of issues have arisen with the landlord and now a prohibition order has been placed on part of the premises which means he cannot access the gymnasium and launderette facilities in the building. Further there are issues with trading Standards as to the safety of electric equipment supplied. As a result I have withheld 20% of the monthly rent as the facilities promised have not been realised.
I have today received a letter from their solicitors demanding the outstanding rent and threatening with bailiffs if it is not paid in14 days.
Advice please.
Many thanks
J Powell
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Just he just rent a room please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He rents an apartment/bedsit consisting of kitchen area, shower , bed and small living area. in a block of rooms in The Registry, Portsmouth now owned by CRM Empiric. It was originally owned by a local Estate Agent and was then taken possession by the present company who supply rooms for University students.
Bailiffs for the debt or an eviction please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 days to pay the money kept back , if not paid County Court Proceedings for the recovery of the amount claimed, interest, court fees and costs without further notice to you. Should payments still remain outstanding we will enforce the judgement by way of County Court Bailiffs, attachment of earnings or in some cases bankruptcy.
Thanks. I would not be threatened. They can't get bailiffs without a County Court Judgment and any claim for £10,000 or less will be a small claim.You can defend this on the basis of set off. That is the Landlord is in breach of contract because the whole property and facilities to which are being paid for, are not provided.So you can defend and counter claim for breach of contract. Even if he loses they can only claim the hearing fee and issue fee, unless the agreement allows for legal fees to be added. If so you should pay the outstanding amount and THEN sue for breach of contract.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you