How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I worked self employed as a sessional therapist

This answer was rated:

hi I worked self employed as a sessional therapist for the police. I wrote a psycho educational programme for them. I came up with the name and content and ran it - it's been a great success and I want to own the name and copy write - can i do this - otherwise I think they are going to claim ownership
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Do you have a written contract with the police for the work you do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was self employed when I wrote and first delivered the programme so I didnt have a contract. I then took a year contract from November 2015 and this is due to expire Oct 2016
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny...?
Ok thanks the legal position is that if you are working under a contract for services (i.e. as a self employed contractor) you own the copyright in any material you produce under that contract unless the contract specifically states otherwise. If you produced the work during the time you were not covered by a written contract then that will be the case. You can write to the employer setting out your position. You have not said whether you object to the police using the material, if you did then they may be able to argue that they have a licence to use it as they commissioned the work from you.
Is there anything further I can clarify for you? If you have any follow on questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
Thanks - yes I'm all done - that was most helpful.
Kind regards
Ah great, thanks so much for the update and all the very best for the future!