How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

There, a landlord on our street has recently let his home

Customer Question

Hi there, a landlord on our street has recently let his home to a group of men who have recently been arrested and charged for possession of a 'large quantity of cocaine and heroin'. Most people here have small children and there are 2 primary schools and one secondary school on the road. This went on for over a year and neighbours suffered people smoking crack/cocaine outside the front of the property (during the day), prostitutes visiting amongst other things. We would like to contact the landlord to ask him to take better care when searching for his next tenants but first I would like to know what his legal obligations as a landlord are in the hope of protecting our lovely neighbourhood from experiencing this again. I would appreciate any help.
Kind regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Have you spoken to the Police or Council about this issue please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. We have spoken to the police as friends of the previous tenants seem to have a set of keys so they are still visiting the property. The police were called and told that they were removing packages and things from the property but no one came. The tenants are now in prison but we are so worried about who will live there next. There is an elderly lady next door whose fence was pulled down by the tenants during the raid as they tried to escape. The landlord has not returned our calls to fix her fence and change the locks to his property either. I would love something that I can outline in a letter to him that states the repercussions to him as a landlord if he allows this kind of activity to take place in his property if anything like this exists?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was just in Court. You cant stop the Landlord letting the property to undesirable tenants sadly. However what the Council and Police can do is get a Premises Closure Order.This is where anti social behaviour exists and they can apply to Court to close the property for up to 6 months. The anti social behaviour must be linked to the address concerned and the Court has to hear this within a short space of time.But you sadly can't take action against the Landlord. All you can do is seek that the Council/Police pursue this order to get the property closed so the bad tenants are evicted and do not come back.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Just one more thing. I imagine there is no point pursuing this order if the tenants are serving long sentences?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Well you could as it means that the property is boarded up, so no one else can get it.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site doesnt credit me for the time spent with you. Thanks. Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: