How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49858
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My son has been summarily dismissed from his employment for

Customer Question

My son has been summarily dismissed from his employment for swearing at a colleague as gross misconduct but we believe that the process has been handled badly/incorrectly and has been unfairly concluded due to numerous anomilies in the process. He would like his job back or at least the summary dismissal removed. Which direction should we go forward tibunal or via ACAS for early conciliation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How long has he worked there please?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I have been asked to look at this. Does he have more than two years continuous employment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 years 4months.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will get my response ready and reply later today as I'm in tribunal
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. As he has more than 2 years’ service he will be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that to fairly dismiss him the employer has to show that there was a fair reason for doing so and also follow a fair procedure. If they have not been able to demonstrate either of those requirements then the dismissal could potentially be unfair.Following the dismissal, the employee would usually be expected to make a formal appeal with the employer. As you have already done so and the appeal has been unsuccessful the only option is to take the matter to tribunal.A new feature in the employment tribunal’s claims process is mandatory early conciliation with ACAS. This requires prospective claimants to notify ACAS and provide details of their intended claim and they would then try to negotiate between the claimant and respondent to seek out of court settlement in order to avoid having to take the claim to the tribunal. It is possible for the parties to refuse to engage in these negotiations, or that they are unsuccessful, in which case they would get permission to proceed with making the claim in the tribunal.If negotiations are initiated and settlement is reached, then the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement.The conciliation procedure and the form to fill in can be found here: terms of the time limits within which a claim must be presented, the early conciliation process places a ‘stop’ on that and the time between notifying ACAS and them issuing permission to proceed with the claim would not count for the purposes of these time limits (in this case 3 months from days of dismissal).So you have no option but to initiate early conciliation before you ate allowed to submit a claim at tribunal.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the procedure required by an employer to justify a misconduct dismissal, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you