How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I signed a contract to purchase a conservatory from Everest

This answer was rated:

I signed a contract to purchase a conservatory from Everest Home Improvements on 28th Marchfor £13000 on 28th March subject to survey of my property. Ahter the survey on 11th April the price rose to £17800 (approx 40% increase) I signed that fresh amendment of price document. I now wish to cancel the purchase within the 14 days allowed as a statutory right. I am told by the salesman I will lose my deposit of £3000 if I do so because I signed the contract on 28th March whereas I believe the effective date of signing is the 11th April
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.When did you initially try and cancel please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am cancelling today but raised the isue with the salesman and customer issues 18th April 2016
So in effect its a new order because the price has changed. My view is that The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 do apply. This is because it is a NEW order.As such you should stick by your guns and say no. They can try and take you to Court but I doubt they would be able to.In any event you are entitled to ask for your deposit back - they changed the contract. That is not your fault.You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you