How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I bought a timeshare in Las Vegas but was badgered into buying

This answer was rated:

I bought a timeshare in Las Vegas but was badgered into buying by the "Hard Sell". I paid $5500 (£2500) at the time and have paid my maintenance fees each year since 2009 but I do not wish to have this time share any longer and am willing to abandon it at take the hit of a £2500 loss. Can I just stop paying the maintenance fee? I have received 3 letters from them asking for payment for 2016 and have just received a final demand threatening me with a debt collection agency. Can they chase me from the USA for a debt of just $150.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What does the timeshare say about termination? What does it say about jurisdiction of disputes?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find anything regarding termination or disputes but in the "small print" there is a paragraph regarding transfer of assignment but it also states that transfer of assignment can only be done with the sellers prior written consent/permission. All I want to do is get rid of this and I am willing to re-assign back to the seller free of charge and call it a day. The loss of the money I paid does not bother me. Its gone and that's it.
Ok - I suspect that its governed by the state of Nevada. But anyway Judgments outside the USA can't really be enforced in the UK.There are no agreements in place which allows money Judgments to be enforced and in any event I cant imagine they would sue you in the UK for $150 as there would be a jurisdiction dispute.So no, you dont need to pay it and they wont be able to sue you in the UK or find it very hard to enforce a USA Judgment here.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other issues Alex. I thank you for your quick response but what should I do with the demands for payment letters I have received?
I would ignore it. But I would check the agreement to see where its governed by.If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is Nevada in Clark County. I will rate you now. Thanks for helping an setting my mind at ease. Paul
Good luck Paul. Alex