How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I have agreed through a internet site pet sitter

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have agreed through a internet site for a pet sitter for the month of June to live in and look after my two cats while l am away on a non payment arrangement,l have also agreed that her daughter and granddaughter may stay for one week.
My problem is that my pet insurance will not cover for third party liability.
The lady sitter has agreed to sign a waiver releasing me of all liabilities.
Have you any suggestions as to how l go about this, would an a indemmnity agreement be suitable.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What risk are you concerned about here? When you say third party liability do you mean harm caused to your animals by the sitters or is it something else you are worried about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is in case the a cat may accidentally scratch or bite the granddaughter while playing although they are not aggressive cats.
ok thanks have you asked the insurer to point to where in the policy this is excluded as it would appear strange that this is not covered? Are they saying because it is a pet sitting arrangement that it is excluded?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes have spoken with the insurers they say there is a clause excluding family and friends that are living in the property
But these are not family or friends are they? I would suggest in the first instance you ask the insurer to provide you with the exact wording of the exclusion they seek to rely on. Unless pet sitting arrangements are specifically excluded then it is my view you should be covered and in the unlikely event of an incident they should pay up. If they can present wording to cover the issue then you can deal with this by way of giving them a disclaimer that any harm to them on your property is at their own risk. This is basically the legal position under the Occupiers Liability Act in any event. If they 'willingly accept the risk' of being in your property with the pet then then cannot take action against you as the owner. A simple agreement stating that any injury caused by the cats scratching is at their risk should be sufficient.
Hello Clive is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that I will again contact the insurers but having dealt with them before on a different issue it seems there word is law.
I wouldn't take no for an answer Clive, the insurers job is to try to avoid claims. Ask for the wording and if it does not support what you are told you have the option of raising a complaint with the Insurance Ombudsman. Good luck with it. I would be grateful if you would be so kind to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you