How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
This answer was rated:

I am being abused verbally (+gestures) in the street by neighbours

when they see me outside... Show More
when they see me outside - this happens every time, now for about 18 months. Obviously I try to avoid going out past their house. What are my options, short of moving. At least one of the inhabitants of the house has been violent- spitting, kicking. I have made crime reports. I am in the UK
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
how to put a stop to this harassment? Does it in fact even constitute harassment?. There are at least two families living in this house. I do not know any names. I am reluctant to 'provoke' them by involving the police directly although I have made crime reports on various happenings. I have been assaulted physically once by a resident of this neighbour's house, otherwise it is just verbal abuse (and gestures.)...Thanks
Is it the same person on each occasion?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
no, not necessarily, although the same people when they see me do carry on the abuse. As I say I think there must be at least 6 or 7 adults living in this house which is about 100 meters away from mine. Difficult to avoid them. I do not know names.
It is not harassment then but there are probably some public order offences that cover it. Harassment is made out when the same individual engages in a course of conduct amounting to harassment. Contributions made by different individuals would not normally be sufficient. But there are offences under the public order act that would apply. The only thing to consider is that calling the police does not necessarily bring an end to this conduct. It just leads to a punishment on that specific occasion - maybe. Similarly neither do injunctions and the like. In fact, I think they often just antagonise. If your intention to bring an end to this then it is probably better to ignore it. They soon lose interest when they are not getting a reaction. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
no, thnks. That's pretty much what I have been doing...
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.