How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I live in my ex partners property, he pays the mortgage, i

This answer was rated:

I live in my ex partners property, he pays the mortgage, i do not receive any other money from him, he is about to be made redundant, and has told me he will have to sell the house. He wants to bring the estate agents roundvtobthe house to take photos, to which I have refused and told him he can wait until I have left the property and moved elsewhere. Can he gain access without my consent ?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are/were you married to him?-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and arrangements for them?-Are there any formal agreements between you?-Do you pay rent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a 4 yr old daughter who lives permanently with me, my ex has her 2 nights a week when he is backfrom work, works off shore.
When he left he said I could live in the house and he would pay the mortgage instead of maintenance no paperwork or tenancy agreement in place, I accepted this as I did not want to disrupt my daughter again as she was settled nicely into a good nursery. I pay all utilities, i receive nothing else. He owns another property which he lives in. He is getting made redundant and has agreed on quite a significant amount of money over £70,000 redundancy, and will have his last trip off shore soon.
Thank you for confirming. Firstly, you should be aware that as the property is in his name and you are cohabiting you have no legal interest in the property and he would be able to arrange for estate agents to visit and value and market the property, as legally it is his. You would not be considered a tenant of the property and he can request that you leave upon reasonable notice.However, as you have a daughter together, the main priority would be for her housing needs to be met and you would be entitled to pursue an application to court to remain in the property for the benefit of your daughter. Such an application will allow you to stay in the property (and possibly for him to continue to contribute towards the mortgage) until your daughter reaches a certain age, such as finishing education, after which the property is returned to him.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you