How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex-partner (she) and I have decided to go our separate ways.

This answer was rated:

My ex-partner (she) and I have decided to go our separate ways. We were together for 11 Years. We have an eight-year-old daughter together. We are currently living under the same roof while the house is on the market. She hasn't worked for eight, or so years and is now finding it difficult to get back into the job market - I believe she's aiming a little high, and should manage her expectations - she has a degree in marketing/ PR. While the house is in joint names, I pay the mortgage, and the bills, and simply everything. I also give her 1000 pounds month, so she can grocery shop, pay her gym fees, etc. I feel she has now become accustomed to this, and while we are no longer together, it has become - on her part - the accepted norm. She is no longer actively looking for work, but spends her days at the gym, and only applies for jobs when something catches her eye.
Hi, thank you for your question - please could you elaborate on what you require assistance with. Also, please confirm:-If you are in England or Wales?-Whether you are or were married to each other?-If you both have any other assets or liabilities?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not married (co-habiting)
Only the house.
My question is: since we agreed to separate over a year ago, am I entitled to claim the money back (the money I have given her, less for child maintenance) once the house has sold. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or should, I simply stop depositing money into her account above and beyond the agreed child maintenance?
I have even sold my car and gave her half the proceeds
so that she could buy herself a 'run-around'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In essence; I pay for absolutely everything. Perhaps it's time to stop.
Thanks for the further information. It would be very difficult for you to pursue repayment of the money you have provided her unless you can demonstrate that there was agreement that it was a loan and not a gift (which is the position that she is likely to take).The money you are providing her is entirely voluntary at this time - and unless there is a formal child maintenance calculation she has no recourse to pursue this. If you stopped making all the payments you are currently making, she would need to pursue a formal application with the Child Maintenance Service so that you provide child maintenance.If you wish to receive confirmation of what your legal child maintenance liability is, please confirm:-Your gross income-How many nights a week (on average) your daughter will stay with you once you leave the home?-Whether you will have any other children in your care?In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you