How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7046
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

A claim has been made against me owed. I admit the

Customer Question

A claim has been made against me for monies owed. I admit the claim apart from costs. Does the claim form still go back to claimant? I am also happy to pay the full amount by 20September 2016 to avoid going out to judgement. By paying 100 a month but settling in full by September what should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Why do you dispute costs?Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because if I pay in that time the court fee should be less. They did not have to take me to court. Its 300 on top of the owes amount which I cannot pay also I have already paid 200 towards the claim and the want another 185 or it'll go to judgement
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Generally speaking the claimant is entitled to their costs and no reduction given for paying the amount within a certain period.The costs are the court fee and an amount because they needed to start proceedings to get paid.However, there are certain grounds for resisting paying the costs such as the claimant did not write and warn you that they intended to start proceedings if you did not pay within a certain period , usually 7- 14 days.If you have not admitted the debt , without the costs , on the Acknowledgement of service form you can write to the claimant simply offering to pay the debt but not the costs.The letter needs to be headed "Without prejudice save as to costs" as it contains an offer of settlement. You do not send a copy of the letter to the court but keep a copy.Best regardsMichael