How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A former girlfriend from four months ago has sent an extremely

This answer was rated:

Hi. A former girlfriend from four months ago has sent an extremely malicious anonymous letter to my new employer. They have laughed it off as they know me very well but they did resort to doing some checks on my background, which as expected came back very favourably. I can't prove it was her other than the style of the English, but the letter and envelope have been kept in a plastic bag to preserve fingerprints. What are my options in combating this? Police, solicitors? Many thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How do you know it was her please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. She was Russian and the style of the letter is most definitely her. The postmark is her city. It's typed so I can't prove it but I know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this still continuing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose I still get charged for this!
Yes I am just with a client. Is she based in the uk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I just had to nip to the shops. Yes. East Midlands area. Would you like me to be more specific?
No that's ok. What steps if any have you taken so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've referred it to my solicitor but he's a corporate lawyer so I was hoping he'd pass it on to one of his colleagues. I haven't heard back yet. I was intending going to the police tomorrow just to register the complaint but I doubt there's anything they can do other than that. I'm concerned about what her next move will be
your options are limited. You can report it to the pol or who may or may not take action. It would need to be grossly offensive in order for them to do anything.The only other thing you can do is issue proceedings under the defamation act 2013. However you need to show that you have suffered serious harm.You would also need to prove on Balance that you suffered serious harm. You need to issue proceedings in the high court.This would be specialist proceedings and you would need a solicitor and barrister, the cost of which if it went to trial would be about £15,000Can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's certainly grossly offensive but I haven't suffered harm because my new employer knows it's rubbish. Maybe just logging it with the police is the best way, just in case anything more should follow, although to be honest it couldn't be any worse
Indeed. If it is grossly offensive the police may prosecute.Does that clarify? Alex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes it does. And it is totally false which I can prove so I'll try them out tomorrow.
You've been a big help. Thank you. Nick
Happy to help Nick. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you