How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50495
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Im looking

This answer was rated:

Hi im looking for advice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My ex partner stole my dog. I want him back but nobody can help me. What should I do. He is microchip on my name. Please need advice
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What have the police said?
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - What have the police said?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Police said they can not help becuase my ex partner saying that dog is her. Petlog told me to ring police. Citizen advice told me to send her a letter but I don't have her address. Thank you very much.
Thank you. A dog will be treated in the same way as an item, so in effect your ex-partner will have an item of yours. The issue with that is that you may not be able to physically force her to return that dog to you and if that happens then the only thing you may be able to do is to seek compensation for the value o the dog. Of course that is likely to be far from an ideal outcome for you because there would be a close emotional attachment with the dog and getting money instead of the dog is unlikely to resolve this. However, that could well be the outcome if she completely refuses to return it to you. You have already contacted the police but they have been unable to help, so the courts may be your only option left. Remember that they cannot force the return of the dog but can issue you with compensation instead. It could be that the fact you are considering the legal rote and that the person is made aware of this and threatened or even faced with a formal claim, could make them reconsider their position and return the dog rather than having to face the courts. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow if you decide to take the matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i would like to have him back, if i was to go to court, what would my chances of getting him, as i said, was me paid for him, licence an micro chip is in my name, in april 2015 she walked out of the house in n,ireland, left dog with me and moved back to newcastle, england, i then moved to berwick upon tweed in july 2015, an four months later she entered my home without permission an took my dog, shes claiming i got dog as christmas gift when i did not, as we got him in october 2011, an since then he;s got micro chipped and licensed in my name in 2014, any futher steps wud be much appreciated thankyou,,,
Hi, whilst you can ask for a court to order the return of the dog, no one can force her to do so. It means that if she refuses to do this then no one can forcefully take it from her. So as mentioned in these circumstances l you can do is pursue her for compensation for the value of the dog. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.