How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband is divorcing me and now owns the matrimonial home

This answer was rated:

My husband is divorcing me and now owns the matrimonial home outright. I said I would leave and not sleep there but he has now changed the locks - do I still have a right to be in the house
HiThank you for your questionYour husband has no right to change the locks.Therefore, unless he provides you with a set of new keys, you would be entitled to break into the property to gain entrance.I trust his clarifies the legal position to you.Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did own the property jointly but he has bought me out nd I hope to have bought a new house in about 6 weeks time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean I can enter and stay in the house until I am divorced? Do I have to get permission to be there or can I come and go as I please. Could I move back in until my own house purchase is complete?
Hi,Yes, you are perfectly entitled to remain in the house until the divorce is finalised, as you have been during your marriage. Your husband can't restrict your access in any shape or form and you are free to come and go as you please, and continue to do so until your purchase is completed.Good luck.Best WishesAl