How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35045
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Sister has passed away suddenly Yesterday, we are waiting

This answer was rated:

My Sister has passed away suddenly Yesterday, we are waiting to hear from the coroner as to the cause of death, she was 57 and died suddenly in the bath.
Without wishing to sound like a vulture, I am a little concerned about her male friend that lives in her house, I think he was just a friend and there was no relationship as such.
He has stated to me today that he 'will' stay in the house and look after her cats and garden.
My other sister and her daughter have stated to me that he was living in his van and my sister gave him a room as they had become friends. Although they argued terribly and he was often drunk and abusive.
It looks to me that he may have persuaded her to renovate the house and build a large extension, although he claims to have paid for a lot of the work himself and that he undertook a lot of the work himself. I believe that my sister paid for the work.
My question is, would he have any claim over the house. As he is still living there does he have any rights to stay, what would happen if changed the locks and would not let us in.
He kept mentioning how much money he had spent on the house and then bursting into tears about his loss.
I realise this is very early days in the matter but my other sister has a history on mental illness and I want to prevent her from having a breakdown, so i want to be fore armed with the relevant information.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I am so sorry for your loss.I will so my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow long has he lived with her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around two and a half years.
Were they actually a couple as such?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe so, he was saying they were, but my other sister and niece were saying different.
Have you spoken to any of her friends (and I understand it is still early days)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not had the chance, I don't think she had that many, I think she was fairly autistic, although she was never diagnosed, it does run in the family. We lost our parents in 2008/9 and she never got over that, she kept both of their ashes on her bedroom table, she wouldn't allow us to inter their remains. So I think she was very vulnerable. It also transpires that her dog died last month, the dog was her last connection to our mum.
Do you have keys to her house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, my other sister has a set. He also has the other set.
The simple fact is that it is you her sisters who are the only people who will be able to obtain Letters of Administration of the Estate of your deceased sister and on that basis you will need to enter the property to gather up all the paperwork if nothing else.I suggest that you enter the property and remove all paperwork as soon as possibleYou should say kindly but firmly that you are willing for him to remain whilst things are being sorted and that after the funeral you will be happy for him to produce evidence of any payments he made towards the Extension.If he has made a financial contribution to the property then he will be entitled to a share of the proceeds of sale equal to his contribution.Equally if he has evidence that they were indeed partners for the last two or more years he has some right to provision from the estate - but the short nature if the relationship means that you are talking about a small capital sum which enables him to move to an alternative rented propertyI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you