How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I lent a so called mate £2000 last year what are my chances

This answer was rated:

I lent a so called mate £2000 last year what are my chances of getting it back.
Is he working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he claims all the bennifits that he can.
I have nothing in writing between us about the loan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was full of promises that he would not rip me off but i think he has.
Does he have any assets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he has nothing in fact he sold or pawned a lot of stuff to pay off some debts he had at the time.Smokes like a chimney and lives with his brother and mother in a small rented bungalow.Full of promises that he would pay me back but nothing more fool me.
Thank you.It depends what you want to achieve here really. You will get judgement against him fairly easily if you go to the Small Claims Court. That will be no difficulty as clearly he owes you money.The problem here is whether you will ever get the money. He does not sound like a defendant who is able to pay and has no assets to seize.It depends if you feel so strongly about this that you are prepared to sue and risk spending more money upon doing so that you will recover. It isn't expensive to sue but there is obviously some cost.Another alternative is to send him a letter before action but it sounds as though you have already done similar things.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about going to the small claims court. It is very easy to do. The form promts all the relevant answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help in this matter.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was going to take your advice and start a small claims case, so to get his post code i thought i would go and see him and let him know what i was about to do.When i went to his house it was empty he had done a flit. Well the names i called him you can imagine. Neighbours had no idea where he had gone so it looks like it is a lost cause.
You could try to trace him using a tracing agent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a tracing agent ?
A person who tries to locate missing defendants.