F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have incorporated an LLP and written a licence agreement.

I have incorporated an LLP and written a licence agreement. Does someone have to witness the signitures of the 2 partners?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This month I have posed many questions without answers.

I can only apologise.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
An agreement is perfectly legal it is simply signed. It does not have to have witnesses.For example, the contract agreement to purchase a house is not witnessed. The transfer deed needs to be witnessed because it is a deed and deeds must have 2 witnesses.If a deed is incorrectly witnessed it simply takes effect as an agreement and not a deed.The difference between an agreement plain agreement and an agreement as a deed is that the limitation period on an agreement is 6 years but 12 years for a deed. That is one of the reasons that mortgages are always done by deed. It is a provision of the Law of Property Act 1925 that transfers of property are done by deed.Although the kind of licence agreement you refer to would normally be done by a deed and witnessed, there is no legal reason why must be. The other reason for having a witness to a thing is so that neither of the parties can say that they did not sign.Can I clarify anything for you?Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get credited.Best wishesFES
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.