How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My question involves a friend who was in Switzerland approx

This answer was rated:

Hi, my question involves a friend who was in Switzerland approx 2 months ago, they were detained by police for an alleged public order offence and not having a passport on them. they have just received a fine of 1100 euros or francs, this was sent to their work address? Is this a criminal offence will it constitute a criminal record in the UK and does it have to be paid?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Are you asking if sending the fine to the work address is a criminal offence?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, my query was really based around the concern whether this was a nuisance fine/misdemeanour rather like a speeding ticket which would once paid be spent or would create a criminal record for the individual. When the person was released from the police station after a couple of hours they were told there was not paper work etc they were just released and thought that was the end of the matter, which had been one big misunderstanding, so was shocked and concerned when this fine turned up out of the blue and had been sent to the persons work address particularly regarding the fact they did not give their work address to the authorities, is all they had on them with reference to their work was an id card with the company name on it but no address.
Ok - anything outside of the UK is NOT a criminal offence and wont be recorded WITHIN the UK.So no, its not a criminal record in the UK.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering if you can clarify they would need to pay the fine it is rather steep but then it is probably best to pay and put it down to a bad experience?
Yes, pay the fine and then sue them for the cost. Do this to stop it increasing.Does that clarify?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats excellent thank you for your assistance.