How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A portoguese company owes my company a large debt. If i gain

This answer was rated:

A portoguese company owes my company a large debt. If i gain control of their goods, could i legally use that to settle their debt to me. It seems they are not paying others, but have not declared bankruptcy. The stock is in the UK.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.How much is owing please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over 50000 gbp
You would need a Court order to obtain control of their goods. You cant just seize them, you are not a bailiff.Its not as if you would have lien, if you did then you could levy that. For example a garage that has supplied parts to be fitted to a car, if the parts are not paid for there is a legal lien.But you would need to apply for a Court order to seize control of the goods and the Court would only do that with a County Court Judgment.Therefore you need to get a valid CCJ against the company. Even though they are abroad you can do this by using form N1: you get Judgment then you can get a writ of control, which means a bailiff can seize goods to sell etc.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you