How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50128
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Madam I had a contract with talk talk (internet service)

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/madam
I had a contract with talk talk (internet service) which I wanted to cancel. The reason I wanted to cancel was because the service I was provided was faulty. I called them 2 times trying to fix my problem. both those times they said they did, but the connection remained faulty. I told them I need to break the contract as they didn't follow the contract terms on their side ( i pay money and they provide me with internet) they told me I had to pay anyway. when I asked the full amount I was told it is estimated at 151 pounds . I asked to be charged once. I was not charged once as I was told and then I received another bill of 210 pounds. when I contacted customer support and explained the situation they told me that the previous person that I spoke didn't have all the information about the total amount. when I proved to them that that wasn't true , they said that that person didn't understand my question about the total amount. when I asked them why was the arrangement not followed they told me that it was not guaranteed. at the end I tried to save the conversation to my email but the button that is allocated in the chat window for that reason did not work. I called the customer support to send me a copy of that convo, at which they said (after confirming that I was that customer by giving all the info they asked) that I need to write a letter and be charged 10 pounds for them to send a copy of the convo to my email. I feel like this is not a way for a company to treat any customer and I want to know what can I do in this situation
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Have you escalated the matter to a manager at Talk Talk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have
Ok, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Thank you for your patience. In the circumstances there is a set procedure which you must follow to try and resolve this. It starts with following the provider’s own internal complaints procedure. You must follow that to its full completion before you are allowed to take the matter further (except for court). So you should exhaust the internal complaints process until you have received their final response and they state you cannot take it any further with them. Once that has happened you have the right to take this to the Communications Ombudsman. This is a neutral organisation which regulates the communications sector and which can investigate any issues you have with one of its members, such as Talk Talk. They can issue a binding decision which the provider must follow. So if they find in your favour and for example order the provider to write off the bill or pay you compensation, they must do so. If the Ombudsman does not find in your favour, you still have the option of taking the matter to the Small Claims Court. You can do this regardless of the Ombudsman’s decision. Of course you should try and save this for last as it does cost you to take it further so you may use up the free options first. Here is a copy of the provider’s complaints policy which you must follow, together with details of where the complaints must be sent to: This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to take should you decide to take this down the legal route, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will take this to the communications ombudsman as you suggested
You are welcome, If the Ombudsman service does not resolve this then it is for the provider to decide how far they want to take it and if needed they can go to the small claims court. They may get debt collectors involved before that but do not be phased by these - they cannot do much apart from be a nuisance and only if they win in court can they force you to pay.