How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have received a summons to attend court relating

This answer was rated:

I have received a summons to attend court for Questioning relating to an outstanding debt, the debt is for my ex husbands car which is in my name. At the time I signed the credit agreement my husband had already been declared bankrupt. The car was never used by me as I have a company car. I am already paying off other joint debts which are in my name and can't afford to pay this one. How can I make him responsible for the debt, can I use the small claims court or do I have other options.
I am not yet divorced the Decree Nisi was issued last week.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Has a County Court Judgment been entered against you?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes last year but my husband said he was paying it
Ok. Sadly therefore you have to attend because there is a valid Judgment against you. But you can issue proceedings against your ex for repayment of the debt which has clearly not been paid.You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you