How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My step daughter Nakita (26) has a boyfriend Matt (28),

Customer Question

My step daughter Nakita (26) has a boyfriend Matt (28), they live together with two children. I have other children who regularly are in contact with their sister/older step sister, she only lives a few miles away and is planning to get married next year.
We have over a long period had problems with the Nakita trying to undermine our authority with the younger children, often lying to them, telling them we are lying to them, the kind of thing kids do.
The problem now arises that she has a supporting boyfriend, ex-army, who supports her position against us. He will often spoke derogitory, threateningly or negatively about us to the children and has on occasion upset them to the point of tears, through guilt that they feel they are part his feelings towards us. The younger affected children are aged 9, 10, 16 and 17.
Is there anything we can do to stop him speaking to them in this way? I have tried speaking to him and Nakita, but they seem to think they are "right" to undermine our authority to the children, and now the younger children are getting confused and upset.
Is there anything we can do to stop this apart from asking nicely?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. It is not in the children's best interests for your step-daughter to undermine you in the way you have outlined, however there is nothing legal you can do to prevent her from doing this and the best course of action would be to attempt to sit down together with an independent family mediator and discuss your views and your concerns about her actions and what you feel the impact they have on the children. You can find local mediators here: you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.