How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50209
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I recently had some work done by a plumber. the work

This answer was rated:

Hello I recently had some work done by a plumber. the work was shoddy and he left the job incomplete. ( I had no heating and hot water) he refused to come back until I had paid the bill in the full. Initially he told me the bill was £1,130 of which I paid £500 in cash and a further £250 direct from my bank to his. I have refused to pay the remaining £380. he has now issued a VAT invoice claiming £1,130 plus VAT and is threatening to take me to court. I have written to him explaining what was wrong with the work and the fact I was left without a functioning boiler but he is still insisting on taking me to court at whatever cost to himself. Would I be liable for the remaining bill - Thanks
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ben
Did you sign an agreement prior to the work commencing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please find attached my response
Thank you for the attachment. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Hi there, I have looked at the document you attached and also considered your position. As far as the law stands, when you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed). In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved. If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights: 1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience. 2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work. 3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader. Whilst there is nothing stopping them from making a claim for the remainder of the bill, you do have a defence as to why you are not going to pay it. I would hope that it does not come to that and common sense prevails. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have should a claim be made against you, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. If the plumber makes a claim against you (which as mentioned he is not prevented from doing) then you will have the chance to defend it. You do have several grounds for defence, such as the quality of the work, the fact it was not completed to a satisfactory standard, that you were left with no boiler etc. So you can raise all of these factors in your defence. If you have incurred costs as a result of his poor workmanship, for example had to get someone else in to fix things he broke, you can also make a counterclaim against him at the same time – the court will explain the process for doing so. Even if you were to lose the claim and are ordered to pay the remainder of the bill (or part of it) then you will not be responsible for any legal fees he had incurred in the process (so no solicitors fees for example). This means that your liability will still be relatively low even if you were to be unsuccessful in defending this.