How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am 44 years old risiding in UK since 2004 on permanent resident

Customer Question

I am 44 years old risiding in UK since 2004 on permanent resident visa. my wife joined me only in 2010 though we got married in 2002. She has issued me a divorce notice mentioning that the marriage is irretrievably broke down. alleging that I have caused financial, emotional and domestic abuse to her. my wife lawyers has sent me the notice asking for all my financial documents.
my question is what happens if I dont respond to the notice issued by my wife's lawyer.
how important is it for me to seek lawyer in this matter even if dont want divorce.
what happens if I dont want the divorce, I have a son who is 11 years old I cant miss him. my health is in poor condition, I cannot afford to start from scratch financially after loosing the only house we stay together.
I cleared her 70% outstanding mortgage on a house she bought in India without my consent., so that she could leave her job in Mumbai and join me in 2010.
I have gifted some money to my dependent aged parents in India as per the Hindu extended family It is my duty as only son to look after them, can she claim that money back. please let me know.
kind regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage.How much is the house in India worth?What income do you each have?How much have you given your parents?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the house in uk is worth 300,000£. 110,000 is outstanding.
my wife's house in india is worth 100,000£ now.
I earn 12k as salary, dividends of 50k for two shares(me and my wife via ltd company.)
I dont know what job she does or how much she earn she is a graduate.
I pay all the house bills including mortgage.
I paid expenses to my parents to the tune of 100,000£ including their health expense for my father angioplasty, house maintainence and repair. I dont get any money from india.
working as a doctor in A&E has taken toll on my health, family. i am pre-diabetic, hypertensive, with newly diagnosed lung condition called bronchiectasis.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much does a two bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
200000£ flat,
230000£ terraced.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Who lives in her house in India?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is rented out I believe
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So it could be sold - her parents are not living there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Her patents lives with their son in india
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am planning to give up the house and all its equity to her otherwise my son will be in trouble.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is your wife's immigration position?