How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am currently living separately from my husband but on the

This answer was rated:

I am currently living separately from my husband but on the same residential grounds. We have been separated since last November. Neither of us have moved because we are living on the grounds (in caravans and pods) of a grade 2* listed mill that has a bridging loan which is up next year. Certain aspects of the listing might have been breached (permission was not asked) as walls were removed that were falling down we are trying to rectify this before putting the mill on the market. Currently, 2 of our children (ages 15 and 18 - both still in school) are living with me and 1 (age 19) is staying with my husband. I have 2 other children, one (25) who is independent and one (22) at university of whom receives a student grant. We have a limited company where I still work to support myself. My problem is that I am trying to support my children on my wage we split all expenses in half. I do not have the funds to rent elsewhere and to part pay the bridging loan and the accompanying expenses ie council tax, utilities etc. Can I still live on the same grounds but be legally separated? Thank you C Titley
Hi, thank you for your question. Where and how you live does not impact on whether you have separated or not - it will depend on whether you have resumed your relationship as husband and wife. Given that it sounds as though you are physically separated you would be entitled to initially submit an application for child maintenance with the child maintenance service, which calculates his legal liability based on his gross income and how often the children stay overnnight with him. If you decide to pursue a divorce you can also pursue a financial relief application which deals with the wider matrimonial assets.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you