How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Type your legal question here My boyfriend of almost eight

This answer was rated:

Type your legal question here
My boyfriend of almost eight years moved into my house and lived with me for 6 months. Paid for fitted wardrobes, large shed in garden, which I had to have carport removed to get it in. Then he re-built, I didn't ask.
I have put house on market and ssc he has been to estate agents angry saying these belonging are his. I offered him £5,000 when sale complete he wants £8,000. I have told him no and he can have his shed, wardrobes and carport back and no money.
Please advise where I stand on this matter and advise about house sale.
Thank you
Hi, rhank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Please confirm if his name is ***** ***** title of the property?-Was there any formal agreement about him being compensated in the event of a sale?-Has he been contributing to the outgoings?-Will the value of the property reduce if the items are taken out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His name not on title
No pre-agreement
Out goings yes
Property will of course reduce, buyer highly likely to pull out if items removed
Do you know how much he spent on the items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes 5,000 for shed but that was two men for days labour included. And it was put up in August 2014 before he moved in June 2015.
Wardrobes were approx 3,300 but I paid intial 600 deposit.
And carport was a couple of hundred not sure excetly.
I have told him he can have them all I don't want them.
Thanks for confirming. As the house is in your sole name the sale is your decision and all proceeds of sale will come to you - however, he will be able to pursue a claim against you to be compensated for the costs of the items and labour but would need to demonstrate that there was agreement previously (either written or oral) for him to be compensated - which you have stated that has not happened.I would suggest that you formally and in writing put to him your offer to end his claim against you - either a return of the items or again for a settlement of £5,000. His legal costs are likely to be well in excess of this so you can also inform him that a settlement out of court would be in his interest.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your help and I do not require any other information
Thank you