How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mum died in October its just come to light she has a couple

This answer was rated:

My mum died in October its just come to light she has a couple of policys which iam next of kin but the company she has them with is going through my dad he is on the death certificate as i having no dealings with my dad can i deal with the company myself also she left some debt am i liable for that if i claim these policys thankyou.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDo you mean that you are the named beneficiary on the policies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just that they need information about next of kin
Sorry - I am a little confused - who is dealing with the Estate and is your father still alive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no estate my father paid for the funeral but they have been divorced for 18 years
Right so the Policies amount to all of the Estate and you are the only next of kin.Do you have a copy of the Policy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 brothers not seen the policy as my father has all the paperwork do you think the company would send me the paperwork if I ask them as my father what's all my info without me having the paperwork I don't what to be liable for her debt
You should write to the Company with evidence that you are her son - and that she was divorced from your fatherYou can then ask them for a Copy of the policy.The issue will be who the Beneficiary is.If it is the Estate (as it often is) thenI am afraid it will have to be used to pay the debts of the Estate firstPlease ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to claim the policy or can my brothers do it
Any of you can - but whoever does needs to account for the debts and share any excess with his siblings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice.
you are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you