How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am having issues as an owner of a flat on a Guinness Northern

This answer was rated:

I am having issues as an owner of a flat on a Guinness Northern Counties Housing Association Estate in which I have antisocial behaviour neighbours who are making life very difficult to the extend we are putting it up for sale. Last night was the final straw with verbal abuse outside our front door when I came home from work. I have followed all the procedures contacting police etc and filling diaries for 3 years now. I feel as though Guinness Partnership are not really doing anything and it is causing my partner and myself stress/anxiety and illness were not sleeping or eating properly due to all this and then criminal damage on top. I have written two letters now to the Chief Exec of Guinness Partnership direct the first of which was investigated but then due to criminal damage I sad that I didn't want them talking to the neighbours as I cannot afford any more. The second which I have sent today. It stated 3 options to them 1 to move the tenants out. 2. to find us somewhere to live rent free until we sell our property which is going to be difficult with these tenants below us 3. to buy our property off us for the market value and an extra 20K for the stress and anxiety that we have been through over the years for not taking proper action against these tenants and the tenancy agreement. I am now at the stage where I am leaving for work at 6.30am and then working through and picking my partner up at 8.00pm due to being afraid to go home alone after last nights verbal abuse. I am awaiting a reply on the second letter but I am wondering if Guinness Partnership don't play ball then would this be something that a solicitor would take on and what would be the chance of winning against a housing association. I am at the end of my tether now and feel like moving into a hotel until everything is over but wouldn't be able to sustain this for long and then would use my savings that I would want to put against a property in the future. Yours sincerely ***** *****
Hello Catherine my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Why wont the Housing Association do anything please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started my first antisocial behaviour case in 2014 and it has continued right up to now. The Housing Association loosely follow procedures but then in a conversation with the Housing Officer last year she said well there's not much more I can do now. This is when I took it to the Chief Executive of the whole Partnership who followed it up. I had a letter from a Complaints investigator but it didn't follow up on any issues apart from the over 55 issue which has been many a cause of conversation between my other neighbours over the years. I feel as thought the housing association haven't got the correct staff in place to deal with these issues and confront the people. The housing officer when she visited one of the neighbours last year admitted to me on the phone that she was quite scary. If she thought so, how does she think we feel having to live near them day in day out. I send e-mails to them and they don't respond I was promised weekly updates but they don't keep in contact. When I said I was scared for them to confront the neighbours over the tyre incident she just responded with ok I will close the case then. I feel as though they are not taking it seriously and just try and fob you off as though it is your fault. I have written again to the Chief Executive in the hope that they will sort this problem out with the 3 options I sent in my first message. As I am at the end of my tether I just don't know which way to turn now.
Ok - you need to complain to the Housing Ombudsman. You have already written to the Chief Executive, which is what I would usually suggest. The Ombudsman can offer a free, independent service and is located at: that does not work you can consider a Judicial Review, that is a Court review of the decision that they are not doing anything. This is where the matter goes before the High Court and a Judge decides whether they have acted legally and reasonably by not doing anything. The court can either agree with their decision or send it back for them to consider again.More details on that Judicial Review process can be found here: I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex I wasn't aware there was a housing ombudsman I will try them.
If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you