How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Our tenant didn't move out after we served him with

This answer was rated:

Our tenant didn't move out after we served him with a section 21 notice. We got a county court judgement and after the required eviction date he stayed in the property for a further 5 days.
He has paid most of his rent during this time. Currently his security deposit is £1000 and he owes us around £560 for fees to evict him and missed rent.
Now he has gone I would like to keep his deposit as damages, we have now been delayed in renovating to sell the property and therefore must foot the mortgage bill ourselves for potentially longer.
Am I able to keep his entire deposit given his ignorance of the court order?
Kind regards,
Hi, thank you for your question.You will be able to deduct any rent arrears from the deposit however you cannot keep the entire deposit for the reasons you have stated.I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you